Sunday, April 13, 2008

Riddel Burns

The bushland surounding where I grew up, and now live again, is/was known as temperate rain forest. This means it rains alot. When I was a yonger lad it would often rain right through the summer. Then it would rain night and day for the six months of winter. Inbetween, light snow squals would flatten the ferns and chill the uncountable streams, creeks, tributaries, and rivers throughout the region.
It was allways wet.

What now.
Drought.


Drought. And a bit more drought.


Climate change.
Only a few years ago a camp fire took a great deal of effort. Every branch was covered in lichen. Every log was rotton and covered in fungus. Bush fire was impossible, to wet.
Now; Leaves and twigs crunch like eggshells underfoot. I dare not strike a match lest I burn the forest down.,
How this fire started I don't know. But it means great change for the surounding environment. To what end?


No comments: