Saturday, May 03, 2008

Chiselled Out Fenchner!

I love to cook. I also love the right tool for the job.
Today I went to a knife expo held by the knifemakers guild of Australia.
At one of the stalls I found this jem. A chisel ground (left side) Japanise inspired kitchen knife.
Spec: Chisel grind half tang. Total length 29cm. Blade length 16.5cm. Grip one peice Jarra, (farmed in W.A). Metal= 440C stainless tempered to hardness 58 Rockwell.
Hand made by knifemaker Fenchner.
Smith Fenchner is mostly renouned for his Japanese sorwds. On the odd ocation he is known to turn out a kitchen knife. This is a fine example.
At home the knife is a pleasure to use. The weight is spread 60/40 in favor of the blade. Most often I prefer 50/50 split, but the foward weighted blade atacks the food and suits the grind well.
Signed Fenchner.




No comments: