Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Tribute

I love to brew my own beer. With about two hours work each week I can drink myself stupid for no more than three buck a night. (Try doing that at the pub!)
I mention this because the local home brew shop also sells a good range of beer. The only problen is that the bloke who run the show is a pom, so the English beers are everywhere, but he's abit stingy on the Geman stuff.
Lucky for me that the poms make a shit load of good beer.
Unlike the Germans, the English prefer their beer profiles to favor the malt characteristics, while the krouts like their hoppy diversity to be upfrount.
This brings us to St Austell brewery and 'Tribute. The Ale Of Cornwall.'
Haveing never been to Cornwall It's hard to talk about the beer there. But if this fine brew is anything to go by. Where's my passport?
I bought this beer coz it was comming over abit wintery. However, one sip of this beauty and it was straight back to summer. Really and truely a very drinkable beer! A plesant amber ale with a small but sustained head of medium grain formed by a small but brisk bead. The upfrount malt was light but complex. Warm butter, cut grass, and jasmin were prevelent. Hop wise the beer was perfectly balanced. I liked the citrusy aromas. But I felt that a more bitter finish would have made for a better ending.

On the front lable they said this:
A delightfully delicious and drinkable beer that captures the essential character of cornwall.

On the back they said:
Pale amber in colour. Tribute is a moreishly drinkable beer with delicious full-bodied malt flavours and a citrus aroma. Brewed using cornish spring water, cornish gold and maris otter malts, with a hand picked blend of aromatic hops. - It is truely the ale of Cornwall.



No comments: