Thursday, January 04, 2007

Mango Tango




Welcome readers. Tonights dish is a mango and cabbage salad. At this time of year mangoes are cheap and good. I find that the sweetness of mangoes marries well with tart or bitter flavors. I know I've done a mango salad recently, but I feel this one is a significant twist on the one before. I wanted to use cabbage in this way. (Raw, and very thinly sliced). this is because I was lucky enough to be invited to dinner by an avid reader of my blog. (Hi Stef & Seb). Whilst there I enjoyed an incredible traditional German meal of pickled and boiled beef, dumplings, and the most incredalble boiled cabbage I have ever tasted. So in appreciation of German cooking, I wanted to present cabbage in a way that shows off another angle of the great vegatable that is Cabbage.
Ingredents:
2 ripe mangoes.
1/4 of a large green cabbage.
2 small carrots.
1/2 cup of mint leaves.
1 clove of minced garlic.
2 Table spoons of red wine vinager.
1 Table spoon of fish sauce.
2 Table spoon of olive oil.
Good crack of peper.
Pinch of salt.
Method:
Slice the manges into fingers, set aside. Slice the cabbage very finely, (About 2mm if you can). Diccard any of the thicker stalk or stem peices. Try to just use the leaf sections. Add this to a salad bowl. Next roughly chop the mint, mince the garlic, add this also. Now return the mango and pour the dressing components over the top. Gently toss it through, being careful not to break up the mango to much. Serve with what ever you damed well please. But I recon this one is good enought to eat on it's own. Gota dig the cabbage...... OK

No comments: