Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Al-dente


Last posting I was asked a question regarding the amount of time it takes to cook pasta. I know what your saying. "How hard can it be to cook pasta"? Try asking any Italian mother how to cook pasta, and I bet she can talk for half an hour on the subject. It's not as easy as you might think. But don't let me put you off trying. All you need to understand, is the meaning of "Al-dente". This translates directly as. "To the tooth". But more closely resembles. " With bite".
I will say here, this is not an easy consept to transfer to writeing. I would strongly recommend that you find some one who knows what, "To the tooth" means.
For packet pasta, follow the directions on the back. For fresh made, (superior) pasta you don't have directions to follow. This is where Al-dente comes in handy. Start with a large pot (5lt) of rapidly boiling water with a little salt added. Plunge in the pasta and return to the boil as soon as possible. Uncovered, rapid boil for about 6 minutes. Most fresh pasta should be done within this amount of time. To test for doneness, take a strand, shove it in your gob. Gently bite through the pasta. Under cooked pasta will feel firm on the inside, but soft on the out side. Over cooked pasta will feel mushy and watery. Al-dente, or just right pasta will have just the vagest hint of firmness on the inside with a smooth even texture the rest of the way through, not watery, not dry, but Al-dente.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My grandfather (the Italian eater of the Ha Ha Bird) used to also through a piece of "al0dete" pasta against the smooth tiles in the kitchen and if it stuck it was done.
I don't know from my own experience if this works well or not, as the only time I eas actually experimenting with this method my wife saw me and well...............................that didn't go down very well