Friday, August 04, 2006

Ra Ra Ha Ha!


The Ha Ha bird. That takes me back........ Todays question regards cooking the Ha Ha bird. Otherwise known as the Kookaburra, it's a large member of the kingfishers. Treat Ha Ha as you would treat pigeon. It is best to fry off lightly in butter, then bake in a dry oven at medium heat. Chestnuts roasted will make an excellent side. I find the flesh in older birds can sometimes be a bit fishy. Don't be put off though. Anything that works well with fish works well with Ha Ha also. For readers living outside of Australia, you will notice a photo of the Ha Ha at the top of this post. Now you know which bird to shoot and eat.....
Also I was asked about whether a Platypus used as stuffing in a swan will reduce the gamey taste. I have tried this myself and can say that in no way will a Platypus reduce the strong game flavor of an old swan. However... It must be noted that the male Platypus has poisonous spurs on its hind feet; and as such if used as a stuffing can cause adverse effects amongst guests.;).... But if you remove said poison gland and spurs, try carefully crushing with equal amounts of gum leaves then leaving the mash to dry in the sun... If you still stand after two cones of that, well your a better man than I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brock !

Your webside is really great. Thumbs up :-)I will definitively try some of your recipes.
I actually never knew that you can cook kookaburra :-) !! Your kids are really cute ! Nice working with you !

Have a good one

Bye bye Steff