Monday, August 07, 2006

Lamb Bam


What up bloggers? Tonight I have a recipe for one of my all time favourite meals. Lamb Shank Casserole. If you want to impress your guests on a budget this is for you. Not to mention how easy it is to make, the only draw back here is the cooking time. However if you can take the time to prepare this meal I know it will become a favourite for you aswell.
Ingredence:
4 lamb shanks.
1 onion.
750g peeled tomatoes.
6 cloves garlic.
salt, peper.
olive oil.
Method:
In a heavy based oven proof pot with a close fitting lid, brown off the lamb shanks in a little oil. Remove lamb and add onions. Slowly cook onions untill they take on a transperent hew. At this stage add the finely choped garlic. Sweat boath for a minute or two. Now add the tomatos, and return the lamb. Season well, bring to the boil, place lid on top. On the middle shelf of a preheated oven, cook for 3 hours at 180c.
Serving:
My suggestion for sides is only that. So don't go over board with something to complicated. This is a simple dish with remarkable flavor. Don't mess with it.
I would recomend simple potato mash with a small knob of butter, place this in the center of a large plate. Over the top of this place one of the lamb shanks, spoon over a generous amount of the sauce. Present garnished with a pinch of parsely, include some crusty bread on a seperate plate to help soak up the wonderful sauce...

Make this and I know you will make it over and over.

Sorry I don't have a photo, you'll have to wait for that... Here is Finn instead... Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make this one, Brock. Do you mean one of those Le Creuset-type casserole dishes? I don't actually have one, so could I cook it in a saucepan/frypan then transfer to a baking dish for the oven part, using alfoil as a lid?

I know I need to update my cookware. Here's a question for you: what's a cheap alternative to Le Creuset, and why are eastern suburbs mums like Pru and Trude so obsessed with french cookware?