Thursday, August 03, 2006

Swan BBQ

Hello devoted blog readers... Justine asks. How do I cook swan? Thankyou for such a wonderful if little asked question Justine. The first question I would ask. Is the swan farmed, or was it wild caught. For this answer I will asume you blew the head of the fucker yourself....
Swan is somewhat simmilar to goose. ( Both large and fatty). Sometimes in older individuals the flesh can be a bit tough, in which case I would recommend a long slow pot roasting. Flavourment should be in the strong end of the scale as some may find the gamey flavor off putting.( I can give technique if asked for). But here i am assuming you shot a nice young specemin. The perfect way to cook the perfect swan is spit roasting, bar none. First stuff the cavity with a red onion peeled, along with six or so cloves of garlic. Add one lemon quarted, with two fresh chillies. Next stuff a great big hand full of fresh cut flat leaf parsley up its bum. Now work your hands under the skin next to the breast in order to seperate it. In this space insert fresh sage and a few small knobs of butter. Poor a good amount of olive oil over the beast and massage in with hands. Season generously with salt and peper. Transfer promptly to spit. Seal with flaming woods. With the swan on the spit over coals, baste useing a bouquet garni composed of rosemary, time, and sage. For the basting I recomend equal parts plum sauce with red wine, along with a good amount of fresh cracked peper. As for cooking times, well they vary a lot. As such I won't add that here. All I will say on that is for well done the inside of the breast must reach about 75C. I can calculate exact times if provided with exact information..... All other questions will be answered according to the amount information given....
No photo as my spit roasted swan shot was bought by Time Magazene.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this similar to my grandfather cooking
"the HA HA bird?"

I like to eat the big black ducks with the long necks.

If you stuffed the cavity of the goose with platypus it might reduce the gaminess of said bird.

Anonymous said...

heya Brock,
So... do you have any other crazy recipe's for us?
Do you have any that are a little more realistic... like, say... something that I might be able to cook?
Thanks!