Monday, September 25, 2006

What The Duck Is That?




Happy blogs everyone. Tonight we are haveing 'Wild Duck Risotto with Sage'. Getting straight to the point. If your duck is not wild, or the sage is not fresh. To put it simplely. Don't even bother with this meal. I know.... Your thinking: "Get over yourself". Perhaps I should do that. In the mean time... . Because of the minamilist disign of the flavors in this dish, the themed ingredents in use here. (Duck & Sage) Need to be boath fresh and Earthy in flavor in order to prop up the remainder of meal.


Apart from all that... I was tossing bits of bread in to the fish pond for about a week befor I gave up and went down to the local park. I asked a few little kiddes to chuck some bread in the lake. In no time flat I had bagged 3 nice ones with the trusty 410 leaver action. Well I got 4 actually, but I let the first one get a bit to close. The poor thing turned into a cloud of feathers, and a bit of fish food....Sorry Little duck.
Heres how I cooked em...
Ingredents:
1 Large, or 2 small wild ducks.
400g of arborio rice.
1 large brown onion.
2 cloves of garlic.
4 small carrots.
1/2 cup green peas.
1 lt of chicken stock.
1-1/2 cups of white wine.
olive oil.
Peper.
Method:
In a kettle BBQ. (Webber) roast the ducks with a tray of water on the lower shelf. Up the ducks bums, add a lump of ginger and a few cloves of garlic. Rub the skin with olive oil. In a Kettle BBQ with about 20 heat beads added. (200c) Give it about 50 minutes per kilo. When cooked remove and let stand. Allow yourself time to reflect on how clever you are.
Dice the onion and carrot. Saute in a heavy based pot with a little olive oil. After a few minutes add the rice and finley choped garlic. With another dash of oil fry this off slowly for a minute or so. Now, add 5 good glugs of wine. (2 cups) If you don't know what a glug is. Stir in so as to stop the fry and commence a rapid boil. When the liquid has mostly been absorbed, start adding the stock alittle at a time untill the rice is cooked. Kill the heat. Chuck in the peas and choped sage. Mix in. Put the lid on and keep warm.
Strip the roasted meat from your ducks. Cut it into bite sized peices, add this to the risotto. Now its ready to serve....
As for what to drink; I feel this dish falls in to my favourite catagory. In so much as either beer or wine works here. But selection of style is importaint. A light white resotto like this one would be an obvious canderdate for a crisp dry white wine...But! Wild duck is a dark and robust meat with a strong flavor. So one could argue that a full bodied red was in order. Allso! Sage... The use of a liberal amount of fresh sage gives the whole thing a somewhat English flavor. This is where I would suggest beer. A dark boc to work with the duck. Mmmm.... Can't you just taste it.... What ever.
Moastly. I just wan't to thank my mum. She was the one who first cooked this for me. This posting is more or less her recipe.... Thanks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That duck risotto looked so good Brock. I could almost smell it. I do wonder what it's like with garlic as I didn't use garlic in my recipe. I felt it would mask the subtle flavour of the sage. Mum